A Lesson From My Son

Recently my five year old son overheard an adult he doesn't know say "Oh my God" multiple times in a row in reaction to something going on. 

This bothered him. A lot. With confusion and brokenheartedness all over his face, he walked over to me in a soft voice and said "Mommy, that lady keeps saying Oh my God." He had tears in his eyes. 

I should mention that we have talked to Walker about why we don't use the Lord's name in vain, and what that means. But the conversations haven't been lengthy, and it hasn't been an issue in our home or family. He hasn't been in trouble or chided by anyone about such usage. 

I can't shake the image of his expression when he came to me. A small child, a new member of the family of God. Someone who has just recently recognized his need for a Savior and responded to God's calling to accept Him as his Savior and Lord. Heartbroken over three words uttered from the mouth of a stranger. Words that affected him deeply because of his relationship with God and his reverence for him as Lord. 

He isn't desensitized to those words that may seem so common to us as adults. He doesn't disregard them as a means of expressing oneself or as the definition of the acronym OMG. To him, they aren't just another way to express an emotion of fear, shock, anger, excitement, jealousy, envy, frustration, surprise, or happiness, as they have so easily become to society today. 

To this five year old, walking with Jesus, those are sacred words. Words that are meant to be said in reverence or worship of his God, as a direct address proclaiming who He is. Not idle words acceptably used in desensitization of who He is. 

Taking the Lord's name in vain is not something that comes natural to me. It's just not something I practice. 
Some may read this and think I'm being ridiculous-"it's just an expression, a saying" they may argue. I disagree. 

We have excused ourselves from living blameless and holy lives. We devalue the importance of keeping our hearts, minds and actions pure through the television shows we watch, the social media we get sucked in to, the things we peruse on the Internet, the books we read, the conversations we have, the words that escape our lips, the motives behind our actions and more often than not, we don't even realize it. 

I'm challenged by my precious son, my brother in Christ, to be more aware of what I take in and what comes out of me.  I so desperately want a clean heart, one that so brightly radiates Jesus in me. One that breaks when exposed to things that break the heart of Jesus, like Walker's did. 

My prayer for myself for a while has been Psalm 51:10 "Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast Spirit within me."  I have the verse posted in my classroom at school and read it many times a day-but today, with a new desperation, I reflect on the things I take in, the things I let out and the motives behind my words and actions. 

Purify me, Lord. May I love you more and more. May I desire a clean heart, a heart that honors you, over any other thing. Thank you for the gift of young faith-faith that encourages this mommy to love you more. 

Comments

  1. Beautifully written. Reminds me of my mother's attempts to say these things to me when I was young. My own inadequate attempts to explain them to my kids. I will be intentional about teaching them this principle. Also, We never write Xmas as a shortened form of Christmas. Something my mom was adamant about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written. Reminds me of my mother's attempts to say these things to me when I was young. My own inadequate attempts to explain them to my kids. I will be intentional about teaching them this principle. Also, We never write Xmas as a shortened form of Christmas. Something my mom was adamant about.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains

A New Song