We Are Not Judas

I shared a post that I quickly read on Facebook the other day.  On the surface, and without much thought, it looked good.  I liked it.  It was a neat concept.  I shared it.  And for the most part, it was good.  Most of it was agreeable.

I am not sure who the original poster was.  I don't know them.  I saw it shared many times by people I do know. Here is the post I shared:


There's a lot I liked about this post when I originally read it. I don't disagree with most parts of it.  I'm just here to offer a different perspective that I believe the Holy Spirit whispered to me through wise council.    It's true, that like Judas, we have betrayed Jesus, we have exchanged righteousness and faithfulness for worldly treasures.  Yes, we have surely sat at His table, soaking in his words, and walked right out into temptation that ultimately led to a conscience choice of sin.  In the garden of Gethsemane when Jesus prayed, surely we were on his mind, just as Judas was.  As blood droplets slowly ran down his anguished face, his distress was caused by the weight of our very own sin, just as it was Judas's. 

It's hard for me to understand a love that would choose all of this, knowing that hours later He'd be betrayed by the very one he came to save.  Judas.  And me.  I am very thankful Judas ate too, because it reminds me that God's love is not bound by the evil of human nature, it does not hinge on our actions, nor our merits. Jesus loves me.  And he loved Judas too.

But, there's a stark difference in how Judas's story ends and how our story plays out if we are followers of Jesus. Judas was tormented by his decision, and though he was very loved by Jesus, he never sought forgiveness, he never repented of his betrayal, though he was very aware of his need for it. Scripture tells us in Matthew 27, that Judas was full of remorse and even tried to return the silver for which he handed him over. But instead of seeking the forgiveness of the very One who carried that cross up the hill to fulfill the prophecy that must occur, he tried to fix it himself by returning money and when that didn't heal his heart and end the torment, he took his own life.

You and I, we have some things in common with Judas.  We are tempted, and we give in to temptation. We often choose the satisfactions of the world over the sanctification of the Word.

But we are NOT Judas. 

You see, Judas's story was a story of betrayal, and ours is a story of redemption.

We, who are in Christ, have repented of our sins.  We have acknowledged the wretchedness of our own hearts, and recognize our deep need of a savior to reconcile us into a right relationship with the Lord, and we have been gracefully pardoned by our Redeemer.  In John 17, Jesus speaks of Judas having been the son of destruction, but in Romans 8:17, those of us who are in Him are called heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ.   You and I are NOT Judas.

Scripture is loaded with great biblical heroes who fell far short of being worthy of the call of the Lord upon their life.  Peter, one of his most devoted followers and friends, denied him three times before falling on his face, broken over his sin and seeking redemption.  David, who was called a man after God's own heart, committed adultery, which led to murder, but found his way through forgiveness.  Paul, once Saul, had Christians killed before he accepted the truth, and then led many to their Savior.  Jonah who resisted God's call on his life and ran away from it prior to obedience.  Rough guys, but men who loved Jesus no doubt, who understood that they only way to a clean heart was through submission to the Father and authentic repentance.

If scripture included accounts from today, it would have your story and mine. Stories of betrayal, jealousy, flaring tempers, and ill spoken words, instances of sacrificing holiness for belonging, righteousness for recognition.  It wouldn't look much different than the scripture of the ages. 

Judas was a lot like you and I.  In some ways, he mirrored Peter, David, Paul and Jonah.  But his story ended without redemption, without repentance and acceptance of the grace and love of an unconditional Savior.  Our story is one built on, laced with, and driven by the grace of the Forgiver. 

Judas's story was death, our story, through Christ, is light. 

We may look like Judas in some ways, but my friend, we are not Judas. We are Peter, David, Paul and Jonah. We are redeemed. 




Co-authored by a very wise, spirit led man.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains

A New Song

A Lesson From My Son