Intruder

My husband was scheduled to teach the youth aged class during our 8:30 service at church this morning, therefore he would be attending the 10:00 service for worship. My plan was to meet him at the 10:00 service. I was excited to sit with him in church this morning. I realized after he left, that I couldn't remember the last time we actually sat side by side during our worship service due to both serving in various areas of ministry at church between the two services. 

Beyond being excited to just be heading to God's house this morning, I was thrilled to know I could squish my shoulder up against Cliff's arm (cause let's be honest, I'm way too short to sit shoulder to shoulder). Just love any chance I get to sit alongside my husband and grow in our relationship with Christ together. 

I was calling out orders around 9:45, "Walker get your jacket, Will put your tablet down.." when the front door opened, nearly giving me a heart attack. I wasn't expecting Cliff to come back home and he was the only one who should be coming in my front door unannounced this morning. I was startled and immediately went into the mode of "How do I protect my children from this intruder?"  

Have I ever told you all how insanely scared I am of imaginary killers lurking outside my windows? 

:)

I quickly realized there was no need for alarm, as my man walked through the door smiling. I should have been relieved. Instead, I was mad. So mad. "You can't just walk in here like that. You scared me to death!!!  I wasn't expecting you."  I might have raised my voice. 

His response was calm and gentle. Something to the effect of, "I used my key. You heard the key-I didn't think I needed to knock."  

Of course he didn't. It's his house too. At least that's what I know in this rational state as I write. In the moment, however, my thoughts on the matter were quite different. "WHY are you here?" I bellowed. "I only had one in youth this morning. That's never happened so we just went in service together. Since I've attended service already and 10:00 is a repeat, I thought I would come home and get a head start on repairing the bath tub faucet, run to the store so we don't have to do it later, and have lunch ready when y'all get home from the 10:00 service. I was trying to help us have a relaxing afternoon together as a family. I thought this was helpful." 

Oh. My. Prince. Charming. I. Love. You. 

Only, not so much in that moment. Bless his heart. 

"But I was looking SO forward to sitting with you! We haven't sat together in forever. I was just looking forward to it!  We don't have time to make a grocery list right now. We haven't even finished the menu!"  Even my own argument sounded ridiculous in my head. 

Kids in tow, I headed to church knowing my attitude needed greatly adjusting and my husband deserved an apology.  Deciding to believe God's words about there being no condemnation for those who are in Christ, I whispered a prayer of forgiveness and apologized to my children for my attitude as well. 

Because God is a God of grace granting and second chances, I was able to enjoy fabulous time of worship, knowing all was right between He and I, because of His mercy. Thankfully, also knowing my husband well, and having experience in the area of blowing my lid before, I knew I need not worry about the two of us either-he'd already forgiven me the moment the words were spewed from my mouth. True to what I knew, I came home to find him finishing the tub faucet and smiling as I apologized, responding that we were good. 

Oh. My. Prince. Charming. I. Love. You. 

For real this time. :)

The point is, Satan knows our flaws well. He knows just how to get in our lives. There was an intruder in our home this morning, but it wasn't one coming through the front door. It was one vying for my heart and thoughts.  He roams this earth looking for those to kill & destroy. He wants our marriages, our friendships, our confidence, our jobs, our children. He wants it all. 

He knows my reaction to fear is often anger and he used that this morning, to fight against the work he knows God is doing in the heart of our family. He knows that when things don't go as I anticipate them in my mind, I often act selfishly for not getting my way.  He knew God would be speaking directly to my heart during our service this morning, and was bent on interfering with that. He almost did-he definitely had his grip on me. He wanted to distract me. He wanted my thoughts. But the thing about being a child of God is that I am no longer fully available to the enemy. He can provoke me, even causing me to give in to sin, but he cannot have me. I do not belong to him. 

As Christians, we must be on our guard against the devil and his schemes to bring evil into our lives. How do we do this? By saturating our lives in God's word, by meditating on His scripture, by communing with Him continually, by seeking His plan for our lives, by recognizing our need for Him in every situation we face.  By standing firm with the belt of truth buckled around our waist, the breastplate of righteousness in place and our feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to this, taking up the shield of faith, with which we can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, and pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. 

With these things in place, we are more than conquerors. 

"Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Come near to God, and He will come near to you." James 4:7-8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains

A New Song

A Lesson From My Son