A Little Innocence Lost

Next week our school will observe Red Ribbon week.  We will celebrate giving drugs "the boot" and raise awareness as we promote a life lived drug free. It's a wonderful program-I fully support it. It's a fun week, lots of opportunities to come to school dressed as you usually would not-camo day, team sports day, etc. There are poster contests, t-shirt designing contests, parent involvement activities and more. 

That being said, there's a huge part of me that is not looking forward to next week. This year, at the innocent age of six, my oldest son will learn the word "drugs."  He will know after next week that a substance exists that can alter your mind and body in a terrible way. He will have a little more awareness of the darkness of this world. And while I know I cannot shelter him from things of the world forever, my heart longs to fight for and protect his innocence as long as I possibly can. He is, after all, my baby. 

Drug awareness is important. So important for children today. It just stings a bit to think about my sweet child's mind being opened even further to things that do not honor God. 

Just last week he learned the word "cuss" from one of my students. He actually said "crap" (against our rules!) in my room after school and one of my students told him not to cuss. Bless him. :) Of course, being the sponge that he is, he's not forgotten the word. In fact, he's asked me almost daily what a cuss word is. I don't tell him, and have explained that he hasn't heard a cuss word from mommy and daddy and that I wouldn't teach him one because I don't want his heart to know uglier words. One day he will learn, I know. But for now, a cuss word is just not something I choose to expose him to or further explain. We have enough on our hands trying to derail the "potty" talk. Poop is commonplace, and we've worked over time to make it a "special occasion" kind of word. Ha!  

I'm reminded of how important our job is as parents, to raise our boys to know, believe, honor and live out God's Word. Cliff and I have taken this charge very seriously since we've been parents-engaging in family Bible study time, providing opportunities for our kids to serve and love on others, teaching them to memorize scripture and apply it to their lives, disciplining in a way that is Biblical, shows our love for them and honors The Lord, teaching them to talk to God and praying with and for them, taking them to church, and doing our best to be examples of Christians living for Jesus who desperately recognize a need for his grace and mercy. 

The task is huge. When they are both in school, they will be in the world more than they are with us. They will be exposed to all sorts of things out of our control. Some good. Some not. They will face temptations and learn more about life than what they have before. They will be pulled and swayed in directions we'd never desire. But when they are in our home and in our presence they will continually be pointed to God. They will be immersed in His truths and reminded of how much they are loved by their Savior. And when they leave us, whether for a movie, a day at school, a trip with friends, college, or to start their own family, they will be carried to The Lord through our prayers. The task is huge, and the time we have is so short. I'm challenged today to make the most of every second we have with them, teaching them, loving them, investing in them, growing them, further aquainting them with Jesus daily. 

It's a difficult task, with so many forces against us. I'm thankful for a God who promises that we can do all things through Him who gives us strength. (Phil. 4:13)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains

A New Song

A Lesson From My Son