Run the Race

A few months ago, my oldest son asked me if I would run a 5k with him. He'd been preparing daily for months and could run that distance at good speed and solid stamina with no problem at all. I, on the other hand, hadn't really run much distance at all since my first 5k two years prior. I could still remember how unbelievably satisfying it was to train for something and pass the test of endurance when it was show time though. It was nothing short of exhilarating. So, when he asked me to do it with him, I eagerly obliged. This was just the push I needed to get back into running. I began to train again and my love for the "sport" was reignited. Running was truly a passion, one I had let die out by not actively engaging myself in it. It took weeks to build my stamina and endurance back up to the point where I was ready to run the race. There were many days of frustration where my body physically could not withstand what it had just days earlier. There were days of victory-I remember crying when I ran 3 miles straight for the first time. I had prayed my way through the last half mile and the Lord gave me my race verse. Alas, race day came and I was ready. The go signal sounded and I was off. My first mile I finished in 9 minutes, an incredible personal record that was faster than any of my practice miles. The other two I ran a good bit slower. I can remember around mile 2, being tired. My muscles burned, unaccustomed to the course of pavement my feet were treading. My breathing was labored as a result of my faster than ever first mile, my confidence was waning. Could I do this this? This was the test. All I had been preparing for hinged on this moment. For a brief second, when I was tucked away in mile 2 knowing my cheer section had migrated from the mile one marker back to the finish line to wait on me, I considered slowing a moment to walk with the crowd. Plenty were walking. Some faster than I was running.

"...but those who put their trust in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary..."

My race verse.

I ran on. I ran harder, yet slower. But I ran on. Soon I caught up to my boy and his little best bud who had stopped to walk a bit. Upon seeing me closing in, Walker started to run. This part of the route was uphill. His little bud wasn't sure he'd finish, but I knew he could. I grabbed his hand and we ran the incline together. I reminded him of the prize that awaited him, the task he would have accomplished. With renewed strength, he pressed on. Just before the finish line he asked me to let him finish first, and he let go of my hand. I told him he better run faster because I wasn't slowing down. Determination had kicked in a while back and this last leg was the true test of all I had prepared for. The sweat, the tired muscles, the time away from my family each night, the determination and dedication all boiled down to this moment. And so I ran. He crossed the checkered line and then I did. It was over. With my finishers medal around my neck, I knew I'd made it.

Had I not dedicated myself to the time it required to train and prepare for that moment, I never would have been able to accomplish finishing the race. My training added the extra stability and strength I needed to persevere. Without it, I would have buckled under the pressure. Preparing ahead of time strengthened not only my muscles, but my lungs, my endurance and my determination.

Throughout life we face trials and find ourselves in circumstances where we can only pray we are able to press on and push through. Times when our physical, emotional or spiritual strength begins to fail us and we aren't sure but that we might not just stop for a minute. We find ourselves face to face with a decision of whether to walk with the crowd, or run hard after Jesus, and maybe it seems it would be easier to walk a lap or two than to continue running on. I've been there. Haven't you?

If we aren't prepared, if we haven't spent intentional, dedicated, daily time "training" and readying ourselves for those moments, then when we are put to the test, when it's "go time" and our uphill battle is just before us, we won't endure. The finish line may be in sight, but we will have exhausted our faith supply and our endurance will be wavering. Our own strength will fail us, time and again.

Personally, I want to be the girl who stands firm, who throws off everything that hinders me and the sin that so easily entangles and run the race marked out for me with perseverance. (Hebrews 12:1)

My personal strength alone won't come close to attaining this. The only way I can be ready to run the race is to prepare-to fix my eyes on Jesus. Committing to meet with Him daily, intentionally and fully surrendered. Seeking Him through prayer, thankfully presenting my needs and desires to Him and being still to listen for what He'd say to me. Feasting on His Word, day in and day out. Soaking in His goodness and coming under the authority of his Lordship. Choosing to run on in obedience to Him when it would be easier to walk a lap with the crowd. Accepting grace when I falter, and seeking repentance when needed.

Doing these things strengthens me, prepares me, and gives me the spiritual "muscle" I need to press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:14)


"Not that I have already obtained all this, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of for me."
Philippians 3:12




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains

A New Song

When The Battle Isn't Yours