CDC

I remember the very early morning email I received "from" a little bean growing in my sister-in-law's belly, asking me to pray for it, like it was yesterday.  (technically the email was written by my baby brother, but from the perspective of the baby itself) I squealed loudly from behind the desk in my classroom and ran out into the hallway despite the fact that my room had students already filing in it.  I almost ran smack into my very newly pregnant sister-in-law, coming in anticipation of my reaction.  What a joyous moment-a hug shared between sisters and friends.  We were having a baby!

I remember the text message I received early one morning, that I was already anticipating and God had prepared me for, that something had gone wrong.  I remember the call from my brother asking me if I could come and sit with him as they took his wife, the mother of his first child, my sister and my dear friend back.  Sitting with him during those moments was one of the hardest things we've ever done together, but one of the most honoring moments of my life.  I wanted to be no where else, but beside my baby brother, being his big sister, in that moment.  My heart broke for he and my sister. I knew all to well the pain of losing a child, and I knew that only God could heal their broken hearts...and most importantly I knew that He would.

I remember watching, as they allowed their heart ache to bring glory to their Healer.  I remember crying out on their behalf, that when the moments of pain came that would be so hard to bare, that He would wrap them in His loving arms and remind them of his promises.  I remember their testimony of God's goodness and faithfulness they shared with the hospital workers before my sister was taken back for surgery.  I remember the heartbreak that family and friends who loved this couple felt, and I remember how God promised that he would bind up the broken hearted and make them whole again.  I clung to this in my own moments of grieving and recalled how He had healed my broken heart years before.  I thanked him for that time of heartbreak, that allowed me to understand and relate to them during this time.

I remember the realization that two cousins were being united in Heaven, worshipping their Savior and being spared all the hardships of this world.  I remember the overwhelming emotion at the thought of their embrace-and the truth of knowing that Jesus had them wrapped in his arms.

I remember the excitement of finding out they were expecting again.  I remember feeling God confirm in my heart, that this baby would be with us-that he would join our family and add so much more joy than we've known before.  I remember (fondly) all the phone calls and questions I got throughout the entire pregnancy.  "Is this normal?  What does that mean?"  I remember the day we found out he would be Cale Davis Craver.  What a blessing!

I remember the day I watched my baby brother, one of closest confidants, become a father.  I remember seeing my sister, and close friend become a mommy.  Words cannot explain what I felt as I held that baby boy for the first time.  I knew that I would love him, and love him a lot.  I had no idea how intense I would love him, however. I had no idea how connected I would feel to him-being the child of my baby brother and sister, who also happen to be two of our closest friends.  I didn't know that the love I felt for him would so closely mirror what I felt for my own babies.  I had no idea the love of an aunt, until I was one. 

I remember seeing my children meet him for the first time, and how they just stared in awe. I remember their gentle touches, and how softly they spoke to him. I remember all the questions they asked and the excitement of a baby cousin they shared during the pregnancy.

I remember hearing her soothe him in the wee hours of the morning, with a mommy voice she didn't know she had-one she wasn't sure would come naturally to her.  I remember seeing him swaddle, cuddle, sway, and comfort a crying baby with love and compassion.  I see the light in her eyes every time she looks at him, and I see the love in his heart every time he holds him.  Cory and Angie one day, Daddy and Mommy the next-and they are so in love with him. 

I look at Cale Davis Craver, and I see a promise fulfilled.  I see evidence of a God who is real and attentive to the needs of our hearts.  I see a Savior who is before all things and in all things, and holds all things together.  I see a God who heals broken hearts and brings joy in the morning.  I see living testimony of His faithfulness to his people.  When I look at Cale (and his mommy and daddy), I see Jesus.

....oh-and I see a REALLY cute nephew that I'm gonna spoil rotten!!! :) 


Comments

  1. The most precious account that a loving sister-in-law has for her brother & his wife's journey to parenthood. What a blessed group of siblings. My tears are still flowing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains

A New Song

When The Battle Isn't Yours