Sympathize With Me

We all want (and need) that one person who can sympathize with us and whatever we may be going through. I know I find so much comfort in knowing that I am not the only one who's been "there."  

When I'm struggling in my parenting, I find so much resolve in conversing with other moms of boys. When I've had a difficult day with my students, I lean on one of my teacher friends. When my weary emotional self feels insecure, I turn to special friends who know me inside and out and also struggle with their own insecurities to remind me where my security lies. And that I'm not alone in my struggle. When Walker is covered head to toe in hives and I've had it up to "here" with unidentified triggers, it's helpful to talk to someone else who's dealt with the frustration. 

When a lizard jumps off the table  directly at you while you are peacefully sunbathing at the beach, causing you to hop up and run faster than you ever have before, all the while screaming and squealing, while everyone in the entire pool area laughs their heads off at you...including your husband, and then you find said lizard in your SON'S Cheetos bag, there's only one person to call. The one person you know can and will sympathize with you. The roomie who had a lizard crawl in her pants legs while you quickly vacated her bedroom, leaving her to fend for herself, all the while screaming and squealing like YOU were in fact the person who was attacked by "Lucky" the lizard. (Lucky's name heritage is a sacred thing, known only by those who lived this moment with my poor roommate...) 

This is a funny situation, but I'm really referring to those muddy spots in life. Heartbreak. Jealousy. Insecurity. Sin. Miscarriage. Death. Rejection. Fear. The struggles. The hard stuff. The things no one should face alone. 

We all want someone who can sympathize with us. Someone who has been there.  Someone who can "feel" with us. And most of the time, we have someone. 

But what if we don't? How do we deal? Where do we turn? 

I'm reading through Hebrews right now. I love how a particular scripture I've always known, can one day just jump, letter by letter off the pages of your Bible, and tuck itself, letter by letter, into the sacred places of your heart. Those places that only God has access to, the secret and quiet crevices where He comforts and sympathizes with you. 

Hebrews 4:15-16 reminds me that we worship a Savior, who though He was and is fully God, willingly also became like man. He faced struggles and was taunted and tempted by the enemy. He has walked this Earth and was tempted in every way. Just like I am. Only he did not sin. 

He did this so that when he died for my sins, he died having known the temptations I would face, in order to be able to offer me grace and mercy when I come to Him, and not only grace and mercy, but that he also could compassionately sympathize with my struggles and temptations. No other being can truly satisfy this need inside me. 

He graciously provides relationships on Earth for us to find comfort and accountability in, but He is the only One who can truly understand every situation we face, love us through it, provide us the strength to endure it and completely and without hesitation sympathize with us. He feels it with us, and stands alongside us, offering grace and mercy abundantly. 

I'm challenged today, to first run to the One who gave His life for me. The One who suffered temptation and death, so that I'd never have to be alone. He is the only One who can truly satisfy me. 

 Hebrews 4:15-16
15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin.16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Comments

  1. Thank you, Nicole, for this wonderful reminder that we always have someone in our corner. Not just any someone, but the ultimate someone. How easily I forget sometimes as I'm wallowing in my own issues and self pity that I don't have to be alone in my "aloneness" and I don't have to stay there either. He will raise us up! "He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire. He set my feet upon a rock and gave me a firm place to stand" Psalm 40:2

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains

A New Song

A Lesson From My Son