The Unexpected Blessing

Our book keeper came down to my room today near the end of the school day, and she said she would watch my class and that I needed to take a phone call in the office.

This isn't how phone calls are normally handled, so I was a little concerned. My thoughts immediately jumped to the bad things that could have happened.

When I walked into the office I was told it was "Pre-k" on the phone, and my thought was "Phew..." I was SO relieved nothing was wrong. I picked up the phone, already knowing what our answer would be. "Thanks, but no thanks..."

Last year we registered Walker for the pre-k program at my school. It's lottery funded and he didn't make the draw. I was sad, but chalked it up to all being part of God's greater plan. We carried on with Pre-K at Kids R Great, where he had just completed the three year old program. He loved it. We loved it. I was sad he wouldn't be with me, but the alternative was so nice an option it was really ok with me.

When I heard the lady telling me on the other end of the phone that a spot had come available at my school and she needed to know if we wanted it, something just told me not to immediately turn it down. So, I asked if I could have an hour or two to talk it over with my husband. She hesitated. Y'all, these pre-k spots are like a cup of water in the desert apparently. I could tell in her voice that she didn't want to give me the hour, but she agreed. Maybe because I am a teacher, and the spot was at my school. I don't know. Regardless, I am glad she did. When I hung up, I pretty much looked at my principal and told her I wasn't moving him. He was so well adjusted, he was thriving and his teacher had just told me over email the other day how well behaved and well-mannered he always was. Why would I move him from that?!? But she had another outlook on it. So did every teacher I passed in the hallway and every person whose advice I sought. An opinion that grabbed my attention enough to decide instead of immediately closing the door, I should pray about it for the hour that I had. So, I did just that. In fact, two other teachers and I joined hands in the hallway and had us a little prayer meeting. A teacher friend prayed for our decision and that God would show me exactly what the best choice was for Walker. I went in my room, texted Cliff and a few others and also sent an email out asking for an immediate intercession on little Walker's behalf. See, this was a huge decision in my eyes. I wanted only what was absolutely best for Walker. I also wanted Walker's input. So I called him. He immediately told me he wanted to come to my school. We talked about how he'd have to leave behind his friends and teacher and start over. I wanted him to really understand what would happen, and honestly part of me was probably still trying to talk us out of this situation at that point. However, his excitement was undeniable. And my excitement started to grow. I spent a few more minutes asking God to just make me feel 100% confident in our decision and then I knew what we would do. Walker would start pre-k at my school. Tomorrow. (That part was a little fast for me...but a requirement to secure the spot!)

When we got home, he asked if we could go buy a lunchbox. So we did. And lunch box food too. I have to admit, this was fun.

Several times in the past couple of weeks I have jokingly said that I was worried about Walker sitting still and staying at his table at lunch next year based on how he doesn't do that at home. Every night is a battle. I'd also started to have minor "anxieties" about his first day of being at my school also being my first day with a brand new student group on the first day of school. Walker sometimes has difficulty with new situations and I knew that on that day, I would have to be "teacher" above "mama" and that could get hard for me. I'd also wondered and thought about many other things as I contemplated the new year-how would he feel coming in with no prior friendships? All the kids he goes to pre-k with currently are zoned for another school. I was thinking about all the little things that teacher moms know to consider and wonder about.

While I was busy worrying about the little things, God was busy orchestrating a bigger thing. He was working out the fine details of our very own blessing. See, Walker will now have practice (10 weeks of it) going to lunch with his class, following the rules and procedures of big boy school, and learning his way around his school before he begins "real" school. He will meet friends who will be in his class next year, so he will have some familiar faces when he starts K instead of just being that "out of zone kid..." He will have a short amount of time this school year to adjust to a full day program, instead of being thrown into it in August with a full year ahead of him to contend with. His first day of public school will no longer be my first day of the 2013-2014 school year on a day that my home room is full of kids who are also having a first day of school. A day when I couldn't be fully mommy. Instead, his first day will be a day, 10 weeks from the end of school, where my students are well adjusted and can handle me leaving for a few minutes to ensure Walker feels safe and confident in his new class.

These may seem like little things, and in the grand scheme of things they are. But in our world they are huge things. And we serve a God who cares about our little things and is in the business of making them His big things. Don't miss that-none of this is by coincidence. He is God, and yet He cares so precisely about each and every need we have. I can't help but be just a little more aware of His provision tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains

A New Song

A Lesson From My Son