Peace

Recently, my pastor spoke one simple sentence that has taken hold of my heart and hasn't loosened it's grip since. "We have [His promised] peace as Christ followers, but it is up to use how we cultivate this fruit..."  When we enter into relationship with Jesus, He freely gifts us with His peace, but how thoroughly that is manifested throughout our lives is in our hands. In other words, whether it lies dormant, or whether it brings the life that is intended, is determined by how dependent we are on it, how well we utilize the gift of peace He's given us.

Peace in my circumstances, in the "bigger" areas of life seems to come fairly easy to me.  When we've faced difficult roads as a family, the loss of our first baby, and other various trials, I've basked in the comfort of God's peace throughout the hardship and healing.  I know that peace that passes all understanding...

There's one area, however, where I've had a lifelong struggle with maintaining peace.  Peace of mind.  My mind, to be exact.

"The mind of a sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace."
Romans 8:6

Why it is so hard for me to fully surrender control of my thought process is something I've pondered relentlessly. Overthinking, over-analysis, worry, fear, and perceived rejection all disguise themselves as friends of mine more often that I'd like to admit. Just this week, I've been reminded of their suffocating power.  At times, I've believed the lie that because I struggle with this, I am somehow less "faithful" or "spiritual" than those around me who do not.  This is what I know.  It keeps me close to Jesus.  I'm ever aware of my constant need for Him because of this war I often find myself in, and as I pen these words, I am right in the middle of battle.

From the very beginning of creation, we learn that God has given mankind the freedom to think for themselves.  Like Adam and Eve, because of our flesh, even now that is our greatest mode of rebellion against God.  Oftentimes, our thoughts are masked behind our actions visible to others, but the Lord is always privy to that secret information the others can't see.  He knows the internal battles we fight, the storm that rages within us. He sees us.

I believe that the battle of the mind is one of the most innate and complex struggles of all human creation.  Here's the thing though, and what He's really delivered to me this week: Because God gave us the freedom to think for ourselves, and all His purposes are good, He intended that freedom to be a blessing, not a curse.  We must absolutely continually surrender that fleshly tendency toward destructive thoughts into His peace. We must seek His goodness in this freedom because that's His will for our lives.

Proactivity in this looks like calling out to Him continually, asking Him to redirect, guide and provide wisdom in our thinking, before, during and after the storm. (Philippians 4:6)  It looks like combing scripture for instruction on how we should think. (Philippians 4:8) When we let Him permeate our thinking, our minds are controlled by Him. It looks like praying, constantly and without ceasing.  (1 Thessalonians 5:17). It means holding everything up against God's word (1 Thessalonians 5:21) and ridding our thoughts of anything that does not measure up.  It looks like surrender. (Psalm 46:10)

When we let Jesus and the Word of God permeate our thinking and surrender to His authority over our own tendency to reign supreme, our thoughts begin to be controlled by Him, therefore we are filled with life and peace. He alone is those things.  His gift to us is peace, peace in all circumstances through surrender to Him.  May we sow seeds that flourish and prayerfully behold the harvest.

"May the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way..."  2 Thessalonians 3:16

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains

A New Song

A Lesson From My Son