T-Rex vs. Raptor

Some mornings, Will wakes up as a baby dinosaur.  Sometimes a pterodactyl, but usually a baby T-Rex.  This morning, he had a hard time waking up and stepping into the shower.  So, I encouraged him with a little mommy T-Rex nudge.  I whispered to him, "Wake up, little T-Rex and hurry into the shower before the raptors attack us..."  (I was desperate to not be late to work again, y'all...)

It worked.

Wide eyed and well aware of my dinosaur ignorance he confidently replied, "But we are bigger and more powerful than they are, mommy T-Rex.  They can't hurt us..."
By then he was awake and cold, so into the warm shower he hopped, not phased by the threat of a raptor attack.

My boy knows his dinosaurs, and whether it is true or not that a raptor could not hurt a T-Rex is beyond me.  I honestly have no clue. I've seen a Jurassic movie or two.  I'm sure they could leave a scratch, maybe draw some blood, even temporarily weaken a T-Rex with cunning strategy. But defeat them?  Will seemed to be fully confident though, that the strength and stature of a T-Rex was no match for a raptor, no matter how vicious the bite.

The spiritual application is this.  As he washed his scaly T-Rex skin and I dried my mommy T-Rex hair, the Lord gently whispered to me, "And so it is with Me, my daughter.  Though the bites may be vicious, the attacks when you're weak, the enemy is no match for My strength, My power, My victory."

Far too often I surrender the power I have been given for one who is powerless over me.  I exchange truth for the lie he whispers to me, and I lay down my sword and wave my white flag because the battle seems too painful and strenuous.

I am learning much about His love for me, and that so intricately woven into that love is perfect protection and an abundance of strength in exchange for my weakness. My God is bigger and infinitely more powerful than Satan, and the enemy cannot hurt me.  He is also rich in mercy and forgiveness when I step outside of that knowledge and slip back into the deliberate attempts of Satan to lure me into his evil plan. God is faithful to restore, remind, redeem and redirect me in those times.

What would happen if we, who are fully armored in Victory, approached every attack of that lying raptor of a devil with the same confidence that my baby T-Rex had this morning?  My God is bigger than you are, Satan, and you cannot hurt me.

We can. When we received His Spirit, He gifted us with the ability to access His power and strength, and His strength is limitless.  It's not bound by Satan's terms, our insecurities or shortcomings, it's not threatened by vicious attack.

In Psalm 18, David describes God's amazing power in coming to rescue him from the hands of his enemies.  In verse 35, he says, "You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me..."  God outfitted David with the shield of victory before he ever faced battle.  We too, have the same Victory as David, through salvation in Jesus.  Our salvation is our victory.

God equips us to do what we couldn't do in our own strength. Stand firm on that truth.  After all, any T-Rex knows that a raptor is no match for him...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains

A New Song

A Lesson From My Son