Pogo Stick Gospel

Last night when we got home, Will was pogoing in the house. (We’ve allowed this because it’s so cold and also he’s obsessed and he’s being active. It helps that we are on a concrete slab.) I was in the bathroom, but apparently Cliff told him to stop and get ready for bed, and it took him another few hops before he actually stopped. He stopped by accidentally landing on one of my new wall decor pieces from Southern with Grace. (Gasp). It broke.  Hasn’t even been hung yet. Have I mentioned that’s pretty much my favorite home decor provider? I knew none of this because I’m still in bathroom. (Maybe hiding for a little peace and quiet. I’ll never tell). I heard him start crying loudly, but figured he’d gotten in trouble about not listening or something and didn’t think much of it. Anyway-when I finally came out of the bathroom he was sitting on my bed crying pitifully. I smiled at him and patted his head, but I didn’t really coddle him or anything because I didn’t want to undo any discipline cliff had accomplished (not that I know anything about doing that...😂😉🤷🏻‍♀️). Anyway, I walked to the front of the house and didn’t notice the broken picture. He followed me and I noticed him touch it, but thought nothing of it. I went back to the bedroom to get ready for bed, and he said “Mommy, did you see what happened?” And I said “no.” With giant tears rolling down his face he told me the entire story. He was so sad and remorseful. Not sparing a single detail he told me how Daddy had told him to stop, he didn’t immediately, rather he hopped a few more times and as he was stopping he landed on it and it broke. 

In that moment, I was instantly filled with an awareness of what Christ did for me on the cross. I had nothing but compassion to offer him because I was so overcome. 

His lesson about not following directions had been learned, that was evident in his brokenness. This was a moment for a different kind of lesson. 

I hugged him and said “You know what, Buddy? It’s just a picture. It can be fixed or replaced. I love you so much and I forgive you...”  and he hugged me back tightly and cried some more. He apologized a few more times, and I reassured him each time that it was over. Done. Washed away, the same way as Jesus forgives us when we are repentant of our sins against Him. 

It was a beautiful and perfect picture of the gospel of Jesus and it’s not just a story for my little man. It’s for each of us. It’s for you. So often, we try to hold on to our wrong doings, continue to carry the guilt, when it’s already been removed. We continue to apologize for what we’ve done or who we are, though Christ has washed us clean.  

In that moment, I could have easily been upset. There have been plenty of other times when that has happened, and there’s definitely a time for loving discipline when children aren’t obedient-that’s important too. God sometimes disciplines us and it’s painful at times, but it’s always given in love. But grace and mercy always accompany that discipline, freely and endlessly. That’s just who He is. 

The lesson was for me, as much as it was for Will. There’s purpose, beauty and necessity in brokenness and repentance, but we shouldn’t stuck there. Our sin is great, but His love is greater. Our debt has been paid, and freedom awaits us. Jesus says “I love you so much. I forgive you” and we are washed clean. Our sin is done. Washed away. 

“For God so loved the world, that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not die, but will have eternal life.” John 3:16

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains

A New Song

When The Battle Isn't Yours