Watch

About two months ago, we moved into our new home. One of the biggest and most unexpected blessings about that, has been having neighbors with children our boys' ages. No stress of prearranged play dates or meeting places, the front yard will do just fine. We get home earlier than the neighbors, and each day, without fail, one and usually both of my boys eagerly await their homecoming. Typically, the anticipation of their arrival begins from the moment we pull into our driveway, which is usually a good two and a half, sometimes three hours before the neighbor family comes home. (Praise Jesus for teacher hours!).
"When will the neighbors be home?"  If I had a dime for every time I've heard that since mid-August, I could seriously retire early. Like now. They know the answer. It's the same every day. So, they fill the first hour with a snack, some screen time and homework. At this point, the excitement is kicked up a notch. Time is getting closer, to when they will see that much anticipated vehicle pull into our shared curbspace. Waiting still, excitement growing, they move their watch into the driveway, if they haven't already. Scooters, footballs, push ups, razor drifters, ant beds and rocks occupy their time.  Mindlessly engaging the  task they choose, their mind is solely focused on one thing only: the neighbor kids' return. At the sight of that much anticipated vehicle turning into our shared curbspace, they rejoice!  "They're home!" I often hear shrieked loudly. "They're home! They're here!"  The rest of the evening is filled with laughter, running, playing, joyful memory making moments, as they bask in all they've waited for.
On the occasions that we return home second, we find ourselves greeted with the same eager anticipation and excitement by the sweet boy and girl who have added such delightment to our children's lives. Nothing is better right now than playing until dark, mom's calling from the front door for shower time. Quite honestly, it's the life I've dreamed of for them. God is good.

Their watchfulness has me reflecting on a passage of scripture where Jesus was teaching through a parable about His return.
He's telling his disciples of how no one knows the day and hour in which Jesus will return, other than the Father. In the gospel of Matthew, He compares this coming to the days of Noah when everyone was busy living their lives, filling them with temporary pleasures and doing as they please. Satisfying only themselves, living in a state of total self-focus. They knew nothing of the flood that came and wiped them away-only Noah and his family were spared, because they were watchful, they paid attention. This is how Scripture tells us it will be when Jesus returns.
"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come...you must be ready because the Son of Man will come at an hour you do not expect Him." Matthew 24:42; 44

Jesus further details through parable what it will be like for those who aren't ready, who don't find themselves in waiting.  Quite gloriously  He also details  the reward in store for those who are.

With all of the difficult things going on in the world today, I often find myself praying, "Lord Jesus, come."  As a child and even younger adult, weeks could pass without me giving a second thought to the second coming. I can remember thinking, "I just want to get married first" followed by, "I hope I can have children before He comes..." and while those things have come to fruition in my life and have been a grace-filled blessing to me, more and more I find myself anxiously yearning for  His return.

Seeing my children await with great expectation of what's to come when  their friends finally get home each day, has challenged me to be more watchful for the return of my Father.  Watchfulness means keeping myself in check, constantly bringing my struggles before the Lord. Do I want to be selfishly focusing on my worries or what others are thinking or saying about me? Or would those moments be better spent focusing on having faith and allowing Him to speak what is true? Complaining about undesirable circumstances, or celebrating all He has done?  Watchfulness means doing all that I can to share His love with others.  Watchfulness means elevating Him to his rightful place of authority and worship in my life. Watchfulness means waiting in eager expectation of the day when my sole existence will be wrapped up in worshipping the One who saves me. It's different for us all-and yet we are called to the same task. Keep watch.

Witnessing, worshipping, waiting, living in expectancy of His return.

How wonderful it will be, when He comes to take His children home. And though it's hard for little ones to grasp this right now, it will be even better than playing the daylight hours into dusk. So much better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains

A New Song

When The Battle Isn't Yours