Where are the birds?

Friday morning, I took a solitary stroll around my neighborhood. Normally I'm already at work just as the sky is turning light, by this particular day I was home. And I was all alone.

As I walked, lost in my own thoughts, during this rare quiet moment I began to notice all the sounds around me. Sounds I don't normally get to soak in. A light mist was falling, cars shuffling down the road through the school zone just outside our neighborhood, the sound of their tires slowing on the wet road as they approached the line of cars waiting to turn into the elementary school. Ignitions cranking in the surrounding driveways (reminding me how much earlier I have to be at work than all of civilization), the pitter patter of my dog's feet on the pavement below me. The neighbor dogs barking their jealousy of his apparent freedom from their locked fences. I took in the sights, felt the cool rain fall on my face and looked up. That's when I noticed for the first time, the beautiful background music of birds chirping their good morning greetings to one another. It was amazingly soothing and peaceful, songs unending, sung by what had to be hundreds of birds. A calm came over my spirit. Why hadn't I noticed this earlier in my walk? I began to look among the trees above me. Where were the birds? Once I heard their voice, it rang louder than any other morning sound, drowning out the reminders of real life and hurried thoughts. So, why could I not see them?

They were amongst me, no doubt. They were everywhere, surrounding me with the echoing of their being. I could hear their voice, feel their presence. Their chirping filled me with an assurance of their being. Undeniably they were there. I was not alone-

It began to resonate within my heart that this is how it is with the Lord. We can't see always him, at least not in a visible manner. Our eyes can roam the whole creation and never land on Him in form, this side of Glory day. Sometimes, we may even feel all alone on this walk called life. But, oh, don't you know He's there? Just as the birds spoke tenderly through the commotion of the morning, the Lord speaks through the chaos of life and straight into our hearts. We can sense His presence throughout our days, we feel His comfort. When we cry out, he hears us. He sweetly sings his adoration into our ears. Sometimes it's hard to notice it right away, because we are so distracted by all the commotion. But he's there, waiting on us to look up, hear his gentle voice and soak Him in.

Once we do that, it drowns out everything else. We hear His voice, we feel His presence. A calm comes over our spirit. We are filled with an assurance of His being. We are not alone.

"Be still and know that I am God."
-Psalm 46:10




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing Pains

A New Song

A Lesson From My Son